1st Birthday Cake
Gluten free │ Dairy free │ Vegetarian/Vegan │ Nut free │ Paleo
Serves: 10 ⎸Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 whole watermelons
- 2-3 bananas
- You will need two circle objects to use as a guide for cutting the watermelon layers; a larger size and a smaller size. A plate and small bowl are good options.
- Using a large chopping knife, cut the top and bottom sides off of each watermelon.
- Turn the watermelon so that one of the flat, red edges is on the chopping board. Place the larger sized circle template, in this case a plate, on top and use it as a guide to cut the rest of the watermelon skin off in a circle.
- Repeat step 3 with the second watermelon using a smaller sized circle template.
- Place the small circle on top of the larger one. (You can poke a couple of bamboo skewers through the top centre of the watermelon pieces to hold them together if needed).
- Peel bananas and cut into 1cm slices.
- Using a small cookie cutter (ie. flower or star shape), cut the banana slices and arrange on the watermelon as desired.
Note: You can use a range of fresh and dried fruits for decorating (use whatever fruit is a favourite of the birthday Child). For example, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, kiwi fruit, rockmelon balls, honeydew melon balls, pineapple, fresh cranberries, sultanas, currants, medjool dates.