Nourishing Chicken Noodle Soup
Gluten free │ Dairy free │ Nut free
Serves: 6 | Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 cups vegetable stock* (ie. Massel)
- 5 cups chicken and vegetable broth
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 2 carrots, peeled into ribbons and/or sliced
- 1 large stalk celery, diced
- 150g button mushrooms (approx. 12 small), sliced
- 1 cup chinese cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger root, finely grated
- 2 large sprigs (or 4 small) lemon thyme (or you can just use thyme), tied together with string
- 300g free-range chicken breast, diced into small pieces
- 2 free-range eggs, whisked
- 150g dried thick rice noodles (ie. pad thai noodles)
- 4 Tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, stems removed and roughly torn
- Cracked pepper, to taste
I recommend using organic vegetables where possible.
* If you have a Thermomix, use 4 Tablespoons of vegetable stock paste with 4 cups of water.
- Add chicken broth and vegetable stock to a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, dice onions, celery, mushrooms and cabbage; peel carrots, removing skin, then peel one carrot into ribbons and slice the other; grate garlic and ginger root; and tie 2 large sprigs of lemon thyme with string. Add all to saucepan. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir 1-2 times.
- Dice chicken into small, bite-sized pieces. Add to saucepan and simmer on low for a further 15 minutes. Stir 1-2 times.
- With 5 minutes remaining, whisk eggs in a small bowl. Add to saucepan, along with rice noodles and parsley. Stir through.
- Check chicken pieces to ensure cooked. Remove lemon thyme sprigs once finished cooking.
- Add cracked pepper and garnish with extra parsley.
- Enjoy this nourishing soup, packed with antioxidants and gut-healing properties.