Quinoa Salad with Orange Balsamic Dressing
Gluten free │ Dairy free │ Vegetarian Alternative Provided │ FODMAP Friendly Alternative Provided
Serves: 4 | Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2-3 free-range chicken breasts, cut into pieces*
- Coconut oil, for cooking
- ¼ red onion, thinly diced^
- 2 stalks celery, cut into pieces
- ½-1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1 handful organic sultanas
- 2 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon each paprika, cinnamon, turmeric, all spice
- 1 handful walnuts
- 1 raw cob sweet corn, kernels only
- 100g feta cheese, cut into cubes
- ½ punnet cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
- 1 orange zest, finely grated
- 1 orange, juice
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar (ie. Spiral Organic)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
* Vegetarian Alternative: swap chicken for 100g feta cheese
^ FODMAP Friendly Alternative: swap red onion to cherry tomatoes
- Place sultanas in small bowl and cover with cold water.
- Boil hot water. Place quinoa in rice cooker. Cover with boiled water so water covers 1cm above the quinoa. Leave to cook.
- Meanwhile, heat coconut oil in frying pan over medium heat. Cook chicken pieces until lightly browned. Put to one side.
- Chop red onion, celery, capsicum and orange, and loosely chop basil leaves. Drain sultanas (they should look ‘swollen’). Place all these ingredients and the baby spinach leaves into a bowl and put to the side.
- Once quinoa is cooked, stir through paprika, cinnamon, turmeric and all spice. Leave to sit.
- Grate orange zest and then juice the orange.
- Add the zest and juice, balsamic vinegar, cumin and olive oil into a blender. Mix at high speed for 10 seconds.
- Spoon spiced quinoa over salad mix and pour dressing over. Mix until all combined.
- Enjoy this delightful combination of flavours!