Simple Thai Chicken Curry
Gluten free │ Dairy free │ Vegetarian/Vegan Alternative Provided │ Nut free │ Paleo Alternative Provided
Serves: 4 ⎸Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups long grain basmati rice*
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 500g free-range chicken breasts, sliced into strips**
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 500g pumpkin, finely diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 Tablespoons red curry paste* (ie. Regal Thai)
- 1 cup liquid vegetable stock* (ie. Massel)
- ½ cup water
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 can coconut milk* (ie. Ayam or TCC)
* If you own a Thermomix (or Bellini), I recommend using your own homemade varieties of these ingredients. I use the Thermomix ‘Red Thai Curry Paste’, ‘Vegetable Stock Paste’ recipes, and Quirky Cooking ‘Coconut Milk’ recipe. This will make for a more nutrient-rich dish.
* Paleo/Grain free Alternative: omit rice
** Vegetarian Alternative: omit chicken
- Boil water in kettle. Add basmati rice to rice cooker and cover with boiled water for quicker cook time.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large fry pan, over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until brown. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil and sauté onion until brown.
- Chop vegetables. Add pumpkin and carrot to the cooked onion, along with the curry paste, vegetable stock and water.
- Cook with lid on for about 8-10 minutes, until pumpkin softens. Add more water if necessary.
- Add chicken back in. Pour in coconut milk, lemon juice and add spinach and broccoli florets. Simmer with lid off for about 3-4 minutes, stirring a couple times.
- Serve over rice (or on its own), and enjoy these delicious Thai flavours!
Note: this dish can also be made using beef strips instead of chicken.