The Salad Accompaniment
Gluten free │ Dairy free │ Vegetarian/Vegan │ FODMAP Friendly Alternative Provided │ Nut free │ Paleo
Side Serves: 4 | Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups mixed salad leaves
- 8 button mushrooms, sliced^
- Half cucumber, sliced
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into spirals with a Veggie Twister^
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- ½ cup (1 full handful) fresh basil leaves
- 3 tsp organic balsamic vinegar*
- 1½ Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pinches iodised sea salt
- Cracked pepper, to taste
* I recommend organic vegetables where possible, and a preservative-free organic balsamic vinegar such as Spiral or Global Organics
^ FODMAP Friendly Alternative: omit mushrooms
- Measure out ingredients for the dressing into a bowl. Leave to one side for flavours to meld together.
- Prepare vegetables – mushrooms, cucumber, celery, carrot and avocado.
- Place salad leaves, basil and prepared vegetables onto a serving plate/bowl. Pour dressing over and mix until vegetables are coated.
- Serve alongside: grass-fed beef steak, salmon steak, free-range chicken breast, or for a lighter option, top with free-range boiled eggs, goat’s feta or tuna chunks.
^ Veggie Twisters (see picture) are available at most homemaker stores such as General Trader etc.