Gluten free │ Vegetarian │ FODMAP Friendly Alternative Provided │ Nut free │ Paleo
Serves: 8 | Total Time: 15 minutes preparation + 45 minutes baking
- 400g butternut pumpkin, de-skinned and thinly sliced (ie. 4mm thick)
- 1 zucchini, sliced long ways
- ½ onion^, finely diced
- 100g semi sun dried tomatoes
- 30g goat’s feta (or danish feta)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- 10 free-range eggs
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon iodised sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
I recommend using organic produce, where possible
^ FODMAP Friendly Alternative: omit onion. Note: the amount of butternut pumpkin per serving is within the permissible amount for low fodmaps diet.
- Preheat oven 170 degrees Celsius.
- Prepare vegetables: peel and slice pumpkin, slice zucchini and dice onion. See picture below.
- In a bowl, add eggs, turmeric, salt and pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Using a 22x22cm ceramic dish, place 1 layer of pumpkin slices on base, then scatter diced onion over, then add a layer of zucchini, scatter of sundried tomatoes, basil leaves and feta. Pour half egg mixture over vegetables. Tip dish slightly if needed to create an even spread. See pictures below.
- Add a second layer of pumpkin, onion, sundried tomatoes, basil and feta. Pour remaining egg mixture over vegetables. Do not worry that vegetables are not completely covered.
- Place in oven and set timer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from oven. Using a spatula, press vegetables down until mixture makes a light covering over all vegetables. Place back in oven and bake for a remaining 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy with a side salad!!
- This dish makes for an excellent lunch – hot or cold! If you make it on the weekend, lunch is done prepared for the week ahead!